The following is a guest blog post by Kelsey Kerstetter, Career Advisor at The Ohio State University College of Veterinary Medicine. Kelsey loves assisting students to reach their fullest professional potential through every stage of their career development. Workplace wellness is extremely important to her and so she wants to share ways in which you can incorporate fitness in any level of your technology transfer career.
It has been a long day at work. You told yourself all day you were going to go to the gym when you got home, but now that you are home nothing sounds better than eating dinner and catching up on your favorite TV show.
But exercise mitigates stress and makes you more productive, two key elements to a successful technology transfer career. So instead of focusing on what you can do when you get home, focus on what you can do now, while at work, to keep yourself active.
Here are several ways you can incorporate workouts into your work day:
- Keep exercise equipment at your desk. Just a few key materials – dumbbells, a stretch band, yoga mat, a pair of tennis shoes, and an extra pair of workout clothes will help you make sure you always have what you need to get a good workout in. Set a goal to take five minute breaks and do dumbbell, stretch band exercises, or yoga poses every hour. Five minutes times eight hours per day is 45 minutes of exercise! Find equipment you like that is easy to store in your office.
- Walk to the farthest bathroom in your building. This one may seem silly, but you will get in extra steps without much more effort. Bonus if you choose a bathroom on the second or third floor – those flights of stairs will really get your heart rate up.
- Have walking meetings, especially if you have a lot of one-on-one meetings. Or, if you absolutely need a computer, perhaps you break up the meeting by having a walking discussion the first half, and the second part can be a sit down meeting.
- Check out a new gym on your way to or from work. Usually, first time customers get a free class. Try new activities before you get home for the evening, so you do not have time to make excuses. If you are already a member of a gym, pack your clothes the night before and go straight there from work – do not stop at home first!
- Run an errand on your lunch break, instead of after work or in the evening. Stepping away from your desk will give you an extra energy boost, and walking around a store is a great way to get in some cardio.
- Invest in a standing desk. You can either buy one or make your own. Sitting all day is by far one of the worst things you can do to your body. Read this article to learn why.
Create a workout plan and stick to it – the more active you can be during the day, the more energy you will have and the more productive you will be. Find what works for you and keep your work and physical wellness in balance for a long and successful technology transfer career.