Be a part of producing ideas that matter at the University of Chicago. Their research continually breaks new intellectual ground – across disciplines, departments, and over 140 institutes and centers. The University is seeking three Licensing Managers to help further growth and development of University research.
The Polsky Center for Entrepreneurship and Innovation drives venture creation and technology commercialization within the University of Chicago and the surrounding community. The Center combines entrepreneurial education, technology transfer, and accelerator programming into one cohesive unit. Through education, partnerships, and new venture support, the Polsky Center advances the knowledge and practice of entrepreneurship and accelerates the commercialization of research. The Polsky Center for Entrepreneurship and Innovation is bridging the gap between knowledge and practice, idea and action, and research and impact through education, partnerships, and new venture creation. By leveraging the University’s distinctive strengths in research and a combined research budget of more than $1.5 billion from its three affiliates—Argonne National Laboratory, Fermilab, and the Marine Biological Laboratory—the Polsky Center paves the way for more ideas to have a meaningful impact on society. Polsky, rather than being a physical set of people or places on campus, is a way of thinking about innovation and entrepreneurship that builds on academic eminence and distinctive intellectual approach, and helps all parts of the University interface more proactively and imaginatively with the world of venture, innovation, and business.
The University is seeking experienced licensing mangers to join the growing team. Overall, the Licensing managers will develop strong relationships with faculty, inventors, legal counsel, prospective and current licensees, and Polsky Center colleagues to promote the mission of the Polsky Center as well as mentor junior colleagues. Responsibilities will include the following:
- Identifies and develops inventions and software arising from University of Chicago research.
- Actively solicits and evaluates inventions for intellectual property protection and commercial potential.
- Prioritizes projects according to commercial opportunities and revenue requirements.
- Leads negotiations of associated licenses.
- Responsible for a diverse portfolio of technologies and works closely with a growing team of patent, contract, business development, and startup specialists to protect and license inventions to existing companies and startups.
Read more information about the position and qualifications – University of Chicago Licensing Manager position description