Knight Cancer Institute at Oregon Health & Science University
Seeking: Senior Technology Scouting Manager
On the heels of a $1 billion gift towards cancer research at OHSU, the Knight Cancer Institute is forming an elite unit to transfer the output of this research into life-saving cures for a disease that affects us all. We are seeking a Senior Technology Scouting Manager to join the team and focus on improving faculty relationships and increasing quality disclosures of new technologies from the Institute.
As a key player in this rapidly growing team, the Senior Technology Scouting Manager will be responsible for stoking the pipeline with new technologies by actively engaging researchers throughout the Institute in the technology transfer process. The Senior Technology Scouting Manager will motivate quality disclosures, manage the evaluation and protection of identified high potential technologies, and negotiate licenses, collaborative agreements, industry sponsored research agreements, and other commercialization agreements relating to the Knight Cancer Institute.
This key position will work proactively with Knight Cancer Institute researchers to ensure appropriate protection of Intellectual Property, innovations, and discoveries, and anticipate potential IP flowing from research projects, which will require the following skills:
- Academic or Industrial Cancer Biology Expertise
- ability to interpret research results, help guide experimental protocol, and create value at all stages of the technology transfer process
- comfort with scientific discussions with faculty experts and industrial partners
- curiosity and motivation to actively engage faculty and their research in the commercialization process
- Intellectual Property Management
- work with staff to develop, implement and maintain procedures for administrative efficiency, and develop internal forms and systems as needed, plus provide reports to the Knight Leadership and others as necessary
- ensure compliance with OHSU, State and Federal laws, regulations and policies applicable to technology transfer and intellectual property
- arrange for and manage patent filings, copyright or trademark registration as appropriate in coordination with the inventors, authors and intellectual property counsel; Research prior agreements for conflicts of obligation; Facilitate compliance for obligations under federal grants, Bayh-Dole Act and OHSU’s mission.
- Institutional and Community Representation
- represent the university in technical and professional meetings, and through meetings with faculty and commercial partners
In order to excel in this position, candidates must have:
- BS in Biomedical or life sciences, advanced degree in life sciences, business or law ; preferred PhD in Life Sciences, with experience in commercializing cancer research; CLP, RTTP or equivalent and Registered Patent Agent is helpful
- 4-8 years’ experience in university technology transfer or management industry partnerships. At least 4 years of technology evaluation and licensing experience
- demonstrated understanding and experience of marketing technologies developed within an organization, with experience negotiating agreements for transfer of materials, sponsored research and licensing
- ability to work with faculty and entrepreneurs in new venture creation, with a working knowledge of intellectual property law, contract law and agreement drafting.
- excellent analytical and communication skills, including the ability to present written or oral materials in a concise and professional manner, are required. Independent judgment and initiative are required
- demonstrate the ability to interact effectively and productively with faculty and senior officials from academia, industry and government, with ability to carry multiple, extended projects through to completion
- proficient with computers running Windows and PC applications e.g. MS Excel, Oracle, Access, Word and PowerPoint
Interested candidates should send resume, deal sheet, and salary expectations to Glen Gardner, The Vortechs Group, at email@example.com
About Oregon Health & Science University
Oregon Health & Science University is a nationally recognized health and research university. OHSU brings together patient care, research, education of the next generation of health care providers, and scientists and community service to improve the health and well-being of all Oregonians and people around the world. The Knight Cancer Institute at OHSU is an international leader in cancer research and precision treatment. The institute’s director, Brian Druker, M.D., helped usher in the era of precision cancer medicine with research that led to the breakthrough drug Gleevec®. The institute is the only National Cancer Institute (NCI)-designated Cancer Center between Sacramento and Seattle — an honor earned only by the nation’s top cancer Institute s. The Knight Cancer Institute has attracted both public support and private philanthropy to build upon its scientific and clinical leadership. Most recently, Dr. Druker’s plans to advance the early detection of cancer inspired Nike Co-founder Phil Knight and his wife Penny to pledge a $500 million donation if OHSU raises an additional $500 million as part of a two-year fundraising campaign.
OHSU is located in beautiful Portland, Oregon, which has been proclaimed as one of the top 10 “New American Dream Towns” by Outside Magazine. The city is within 90 minutes of both the mountains and the coast and is home to vibrant neighborhoods, numerous parks and renowned restaurants as well as a lively music and arts scene.
OHSU offers a comprehensive benefits package including paid vacation, holiday and sick leave; medical, dental and term life insurance coverage; disability coverage; retirement plans, tuition discounts.