Rev1 Ventures, Inc. is committed to helping entrepreneurs build great companies. The Senior Director is an executive-in-residence position that guides entrepreneurs through Rev1’s startup development methodology and investment processes, and continues providing expert assistance and guidance to companies post investment.
The successful candidate has:
- a successful investment background
- is passionate about building high-growth companies as a natural “connector”
- experience building and guiding highly effective teams, creating consensus in dynamic, collaborative organizations that work cross-functionally with other colleagues and business units to support and foster entrepreneurs’ success.
Rev1 invests approximately $8 million per year in high-growth start-ups in Central Ohio. The Senior Director is expected to work within a collaborative organization to lead and close several investments per year and remain deeply involved with companies post-investment.
The Senior Director leads a team that is responsible for guiding startups through Rev1’s initial validation process, evaluates, and with the investment team, negotiates, structures and implements investment opportunities. This is a comprehensive technology and business development role in which the Senior Director takes opportunities from scouting and delivery to implementation. The position reports to the Managing Director, New Ventures.
- Use external networks (with other start-ups, innovation partners and service providers) to source investment opportunities that provide access to investable, scalable technologies and business opportunities.
- Helps to develop a world-class partnering proposition towards start-ups and VC’s.
- Validate and structure collaboration opportunities (e.g. joint development agreements, licensing, demonstration projects, investments, JV’s).
- Be a credible spokesperson for Rev1 to the external world (conferences, business to business meetings, etc).
- Lead all phases of deal delivery for investments in technology start-ups, including negotiations.
- Use networks inside and outside Rev1 to support due diligence.
- Lead virtual deal teams to complete diligence, deal structuring, negotiations, and preparing and presenting investment proposals.
- In selective cases, may serve as Rev1’s Board representative or observer. As such will ensure delivery against target by invested company and ensure compliance with Rev1’s standards.
- Contribute to quarterly reporting on investee company performance.
- Must be a U.S. Citizen, or hold a valid work visa that does not require sponsorship in order to legally work full-time in the United States.
- Minimum three (5+) years’ investment experience, comfortable leading negotiations and “following-through” deals to successful implementation. Applicants who have been assessed as experienced deal leaders are regarded positively.
- Experience in technical or operational roles in Information Technologies, Advanced Materials or Manufacturing, Energy Technologies, or other fields required.
- Experience understanding where and how technology or new business models can address key challenges and present new opportunities for customers.
- Experience working with entrepreneurs, corporate strategic investments or venture capital preferred.
- Entrepreneurial spirit: someone who’s willing to explore new ways to approach problems and opportunities; where other people haven’t explored. (1) Born optimist, (2) in tune with one’s passion, (3) always questioning how it can be done better, (4) understands risk mitigation and (5) above all: has an ability to execute.
- Excellent relationship management skills. Ability to tactfully engage with internal and external stakeholders.
- Working knowledge of valuation techniques and basic financial analyses (ability to interpret financial statements: balance sheets, income statements, cash flow statements).
- Executive presence required vis-à-vis entrepreneurs, start-up CEOs, co-investors and corporate partners.
- Is comfortable working within an established, yet evolving system to identify, develop, mature and harvest portfolio investments.
- Comfortable with developing opportunities and making decisions with limited data.
- Must be able to drive deals forward with intellectual honest about risks and opportunities associated with any company or team.
- Act as a trusted investor- ‘advisor’ to the CEO and management team post-close.
- Balance indirect value from technology transfer and direct financial return
- Professionally manage internal and external stakeholders during the investment cycle. Have an ability to deploy a variety of influencing styles to obtain their collaboration and commitment.
WHAT’S IN IT FOR YOU:
Competitive compensation package comprising base salary plus performance-based variable compensation
Collaborative work environment
Generous paid personal time off
Health, dental, vision benefits
Location: Rev1 Ventures – Columbus, Ohio.
About Rev1 Ventures: Rev1 is a seed and early stage investment firm that provides a unique combination of investment capital and strategic services to high growth companies. Rev1 manages a continuum of investment funds from corporate, community and innovation partners, as well as the Ohio Third Frontier. Rev1 is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.
To apply: please send your resume and cover letter to: email@example.com