Become the face of innovation in Calgary, Alberta. Innovate Calgary, an award-winning business incubator and technology transfer centre, has exclusively retained the Vortechs Group in their search for a Director of Intellectual Property Management.
About the Position:
The Director of Intellectual Property Management will report to the Vice President, Intellectual Property Management, working closely with a team of over 20 individuals, which includes Business Analysts, Marketing Specialists, Attorneys and Technology Managers. This position works closely with University of Calgary researchers, inventors, entrepreneurs and subject matter experts across Calgary and Alberta.
This dynamic position is not designed to maintain and manage, but to grow and expand within the mission of this innovative culture. In addition to the day-to-day job duties of the director, the incumbent represents Innovate Calgary to the community and will become known as one of the driving forces behind innovation in Alberta and its growing advanced technology sector.
Key responsibilities include:
- Educating inventors and researchers regarding entrepreneurship, business development, intellectual property and commercialization
- Maintaining, strengthening and managing professional relationships with all stakeholders including Innovate Calgary staff, University of Calgary faculty, administrators, entrepreneurs and investors across Alberta, and corporate executives worldwide
- Advancing innovations to market through research partnerships, licensing and new business start-ups
- Developing business opportunity and commercialization plans for innovations, research consortia and startup ventures
- Cultivating collaborative affiliations with early stage investors, including angel investors and venture capitalists
- Must be eligible to work in Canada
- Advanced degree from an accredited university
- A proven track record of market-based analytic judgment; the ability to prioritize and monitor multiple competing deadlines
- Refined negotiation and strategic thinking skills for sustained high-level interactions to source and close deals
- At least three years management experience
Ph.D./ MBA; and concurrent with, or in addition to, management experience, two years business development experience
About Innovate Calgary:
Innovate Calgary provides a unique opportunity for employees through a flexible work environment that exposes them to the breadth of Alberta and Canada’s growing advanced technology sector. Innovate Calgary is ranked #3 – Top University Business Incubator in North America, and #6 – World Top University Business Incubator (UBI Index 2015).
In addition to its work with private sector clients, Innovate Calgary is the technology transfer and business incubation center for the University of Calgary. Employees at Innovate Calgary work closely with faculty, staff and students to bridge the gap between inventions and ideas and marketable products and services.
About Calgary, Alberta
Rich in natural resources, Calgary is an outdoor enthusiast’s dream. With miles of horseback riding trails and extensive, lush parks and gardens to skiing, snowboarding, ice skating, and watersports; Calgary offers outdoor fun year round.
While there’s plenty to do to exercise the body, there’s no dearth of arts and culture either. Calgary’s many museums bring western history to life. The city’s galleries are the home to a growing arts community. Calgary also has a burgeoning performing arts scene.
This town is exciting and bustling with opportunity. It has a youthful energy that people of all ages enjoy. If you haven’t visited Calgary recently, it’s time you take a look.
Find out more about this unique opportunity by reading the full Innovate Calgary Director of Intellectual Property Management position specifications.