Georgia Tech Research Corporation Office of Industry Engagement
Seeking: Senior Licensing Associate
Georgia Tech, one of the top public universities in the United States, is a thriving research community known for their prestigious academics and cutting-edge technology. We are seeking a Senior Licensing Associate to join our team in the Office of Industry Engagement. Our team works cohesively to provide full technology transfer support services to faculty to move new technologies and discoveries into the mainstream of the US economy.
As a key member of the Technology Licensing group within the Office of Industry Engagement, the Senior Licensing Associate will be responsible for actively engaging researchers across Georgia Tech in the technology transfer and commercialization process. The Senior Licensing Associate will manage the evaluation and protection of the Institute’s world class research discoveries, and negotiate licenses and other commercialization related agreements.
This key position will work proactively with Georgia Tech researchers to ensure appropriate protection of intellectual property, innovations, and discoveries, which will require the following skills:
- Academic or Industrial IT, Software, Electrical Engineering Expertise
- ability to evaluate research discoveries for commercial application, and navigate through the various stages of the technology transfer process
- comfort with scientific discussions with faculty experts and industrial partners
- motivation to actively engage faculty and their research in the commercialization process
- Intellectual Property Management
- work with staff to improve and maintain procedures for administrative efficiency, and develop internal forms and systems as needed, plus provide reports to the Georgia Tech Industry Engagement leadership and others as necessary
- ensure compliance with Georgia Tech, State and Federal laws, regulations and policies applicable to technology transfer and intellectual property
- arrange for and manage patent filings, copyright or trademark registration as appropriate in coordination with the inventors, authors and intellectual property counsel; Review prior agreements for conflicts of obligation; Facilitate compliance for obligations under federal grants, Bayh-Dole Act and Georgia Tech’s mission.
- draft and negotiate license agreements and various other intellectual property contracts.
- provide guidance and serve as a resource to junior licensing staff members.
- Institutional and Community Representation
- represent the university in technical and professional meetings, and through meetings with faculty and commercial partners
In order to excel in this position, candidates must have:
- Physical sciences or engineering background preferred, advanced degree or bachelor degree with equivalent experience required; with experience in commercializing IT, software and/or engineering research; CLP, RTTP or equivalent and Registered Patent Agent is helpful
- 5-10 years’ experience in university technology transfer or management of industry partnerships. At least 4 years of technology evaluation and licensing experience
- demonstrated experience drafting and negotiating agreements for licensing and transfer of materials with understanding and experience of marketing technologies developed within an organization, with
- ability to work with faculty and students in the early evaluation of technologies , with a working knowledge of intellectual property law, contract law and agreement drafting.
- excellent analytical and communication skills, including the ability to present written or oral materials in a concise and professional manner, are required. Independent judgment and initiative are required
- demonstrated the ability to interact effectively and productively with faculty and senior officials from academia, industry and government
- Ability to manage a complex portfolio of diverse technologies and carry multiple, extended projects concurrently through to completion.
Interested candidates should send resume, deal sheet, and salary expectations to Lisa Rooney, The Vortechs Group, at firstname.lastname@example.org