Vortechs Group has been retained to locate a Chief Technology Officer (CTO) for WHE Generation (WHE), a rapidly growing company that offers solutions that harness waste heat and energy for distributed power generation. WHE is perfectly positioned to capture significant market share in a rapidly expanding industry. WHE maintains over 33 exclusive patents that contribute to a dynamic, effective and scalable system that has the ability to capture waste heat in a micro-grid scenario. The current market for waste-to-power technologies is expected to reach $50+ Billion annually and conditions are optimal for adoption of technologies designed to improve energy efficiency, increase manufacturing profitability and decrease dependence on fossil fuels. WHE’s reciprocating piston engine is designed to be scalable, minimize manufacturing costs and achieve optimal efficiency over current systems. With the ripe market conditions and WHE’s obvious advantages over their competitors, WHE is poised to pursue over $1 Billion in their target market over the next 5 years.
The CTO will be the lead visionary engineer for the company, overseeing the technological and engineering direction of the company. This includes developing overall technical and IP strategies while managing and building an expanding engineering department. This key position will require excellent skills in technology, strategy and leadership to facilitate the rapid growth of this promising company.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Core duties and responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Oversees engineering department – creating structure and goals for the team
- Creates a technical vision for the company and plans for implementation of new technical projects or product lines.
- Dispenses advice, guidance, direction, and authorization to carry out major plans and procedures
- Works with financial analysis, sales and marketing to discern competitiveness of new technologies.
- Establishes and oversees IP capture and protection strategy
- Establishes strong patent development paths to generate and capture critical IP.
- Creates effective continuing education and mentoring programs to develop visionary employees to enable each to perform to their highest contribution level for the company
- Creates technical budgets, allocates resources, and determines schedule of product releases or project deadlines.
- Plans and directs all investigations and negotiations pertaining to technical aspects of mergers, joint ventures, acquisition of businesses, or sales of major assets, with at the direction of the CEO / Executive Committee.
- Establishes and maintains an effective system of communications throughout the department.
- Analyzes new technologies and runs competitive analyses.
Leads the Engineering Innovation Department ranging in size up to 18 engineers, which is responsible for the overall direction, development, coordination, and evaluation of new technologies and designs.
To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies:
- Analytical – Synthesizes complex or diverse information; Collects and researches data; Uses intuition and experience to complement data; Designs work flows and procedures.
- Design – Generates creative solutions; Uses feedback to modify designs; Demonstrates attention to detail.
- Problem Solving – Identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner; Gathers and analyzes information skillfully; Develops alternative solutions; Works well in group problem solving situations; Uses reason even when dealing with emotional topics.
- Teamwork – Balances team and individual responsibilities; Exhibits objectivity and openness to others’ views; Gives and welcomes feedback; Contributes to building a positive team spirit; Puts success of team above own interests; Able to build morale and group commitments to goals and objectives; Supports everyone’s efforts to succeed.
- Visionary Leadership – Displays passion and optimism; Inspires respect and trust; mobilizes others to fulfill the vision; Provides vision and inspiration to peers and subordinates.
- Delegation – Delegates work assignments; Matches the responsibility to the person; Gives authority to work independently; Sets expectations and monitors delegated activities; Provides recognition for results.
- Leadership – Exhibits confidence in self and others; Inspires and motivates others to perform well; effectively influences actions and opinions of others; Accepts feedback from others; Gives appropriate recognition to others.
- Organizational Support – Completes administrative tasks correctly and on time; Supports organization’s goals and values; Benefits organization through outside activities; Respects diversity.
- Strategic Thinking – Develops strategies to achieve organizational goals; Understands organization’s strengths & weaknesses; Analyzes market and competition; Identifies external threats and opportunities; Adapts strategy to changing conditions.
- Computer skills to perform this job successfully, an individual should have knowledge of: Contact Management systems; Database software; Design software; Development software; SolidWorks, CAD, CAM, CNC machine languages; Internet software; Manufacturing software; Order Processing systems; Project Management software; Spreadsheet software and Word Processing software.
- Innovation – Displays original thinking and creativity; Meets challenges with resourcefulness; Generates suggestions for improving work; Develops innovative approaches and ideas; Presents ideas and information in a manner that gets others’ attention.
EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE:
- Licensed Engineer – Master’s degree or Doctorate in Engineering, Mechanical, Thermal or Material Sciences from an accredited college or university and 20 years’ solid, directly related working experience; or equivalent combination of education, appropriate internship and experience may be applicable.
- Working knowledge of external combustion engines is required.
- Working knowledge of high temp / high pressure materials and systems required
- Knowledge of SolidWorks part & assembly drawings required; proficiency in SolidWorks Simulation (stress, thermal, fatigue analyses) required.
- Experience in prototype simulation, construction and testing required.
- Must demonstrate, by example, successful product development histories from concept to market.
- Machinist and Fabrication skills and experience required.
- Extensive working knowledge of IC/EC engine components, mechanical power systems, prototype designs and mass production methodologies required
- Applicable Academic publishing and recognition preferred.
- Engineering innovation as evidenced by successful patent filings as sole party or team member inventor is highly preferred.
- Highly knowledgeable of AMSE Standards preferred
For more information please send resume, cover letter, and salary expectation to firstname.lastname@example.org