Washington University in St. Louis is an independent university, and is renowned for its teaching, patient care and research.
With almost $1 billion in total research support, funding more than 3,000 research projects, this preeminent school is dedicating its resources to four areas of research focus: medical; innovation and entrepreneurial; environmental and energy; and plant science.
The faculty and researchers at Washington University are dedicated to excellence in creating intellectual property and advanced research for the greatest public good. Their International Center for Advanced Renewable Energy and Sustainability is conducting targeted research in sustainable alternative energy, biofuels, mitigating CO2 accumulation, and reducing emissions.
The Business Development Associate is responsible for managing a portion of the University’s intellectual property portfolio with the mission of transferring it to commercial companies for the benefit of society. This person will be responsible for handling license agreements, a portfolio of IP, and training and mentoring of trainees. These responsibilities will be completed with direction from the Associate Director. The BDA will be expected to manage special initiatives for the benefit of the Office of Technology Management (OTM). This position is a mid-level licensing position for the OTM.
- BDA will have decision-making responsibility for managing and licensing a portion of the University’s intellectual property portfolio.
- Manage a portfolio of revenue-generating license agreements involving the University intellectual property.
- Interact with both internal and external contacts, including: Faculty inventors, staff in OTM, and internal legal counsel (OGC), Licensing professionals at for-profit companies and patent attorneys.
- Responsible for mentoring and/or supervising OTM Licensing Trainees
- Interaction with Associate Director and other OTM personnel to discuss various technologies and patentability issues.
- Handle confidential information; The Business Development Associate works with faculty to protect his or her intellectual property, which may not yet be in the public domain.
- Usual administrative office working conditions. Ability to attend meetings at local on and off campus locations
- Advanced degree, MS or PhD, in the life/biological science, medicine, biomedical engineering, engineering, or physical sciences.
- Three – five years working experience in a university technology transfer office or in commercial development within the private sector is required.
- Must be able to assess the potential for a nascent technology in the commercial arena. The BDA must have excellent communication skills and be able to prioritize and manage a portfolio of technology cases. Ability to make appropriate decisions as it relates to technology transfer activities. Exceptional and demonstrated ability to provide superior customer service to internal and external clients is also required.
- The BDA must have excellent communication and people-management skills.
- Experience in closing business transactions and negotiating contracts preferred.
- Business experience in private industry or an MBA degree would be a plus.
Procedure for Consideration
Interested candidates should send their resume and deal sheet to Karen Clifford:
The Vortechs Group is committed to hiring a diverse and inclusive candidate pool. Read our diversity statement here: https://vortechsgroup.com/diversity-inclusion/.