Established in 1853, the University of Melbourne is a leading international university with a tradition of excellence in teaching and research. The main campus in Parkville is recognised as the hub of Australia’s premier knowledge precinct comprising eight hospitals, many leading research institutes and a wide-range of knowledge-based industries. With outstanding performance in international rankings, the University is at the forefront of higher education in the Asia-Pacific region and the world.
The Associate Director, Technology Transfer & Licensing provides leadership in the management and support of intellectual property and technology transfer activities aligned to the strategy of the University of Melbourne. The incumbent leads the high-performance team of professionals focused on IP portfolio management, technology transfer and licensing, and manages and encourages technology transfer activities and intellectual property issues. In collaboration with RIC, Chancellery and Faculty colleagues, the incumbent delivers services across the University and drives and delivers the growth, development and management of a pipeline and portfolio of risk-appropriate commercial opportunities. The Associate Director, Technology Transfer & Licensing will provide support, advice and education regarding relevant intellectual property and technology transfer issues, including developing and interpreting policy, to support Research and Enterprise objectives.
- Provide leadership and support within the University in IP and technology transfer and the planning, management, integration and implementation of technology transfer to deliver on the University’s Research and Enterprise initiatives.
- Represent the University’s interest in intellectual property and technology transfer both internally and externally and engage with external stakeholders including seed and venture funds.
- Influence and support internal stakeholders in the development of relevant IP and technology transfer policies and provide leadership in the development and implementation of aligned procedures and systems to support Research, Engagement and Enterprise initiatives.
- Provide clear and positive leadership to the IP & Technology Transfer Services Team, ensuring focus on key priorities, effective resource allocation and collaboration, and a high-performance team environment.
- Develop and maintain a service-oriented operation that is responsive to the needs of the University community and external stakeholders and develop the skills and expertise within the team to meet the changing internal and external needs.
- Provide the IP and technology transfer leadership and management necessary to increase the number of new inventions, licenses, new ventures, and support university-industry collaborations.
- Contribute to the development and delivery of education programs to support technology transfer and industry engagement across the University including delivery across faculties in partnership with BD teams and RIC colleagues.
- Contribute to the development of commercial and transactional skills within RIC in collaboration with the BD teams and RIC colleagues.
- Manage the identification, evaluation, protection and commercialization of University technologies including strategic oversight of the management of University’s patent portfolio and provision of commercial direction, guidance and advice in relation to commercial arrangements and governance.
- As a member of the BD&I management team, promote effective communication and collaboration across RIC and the broader University – including seamless integration with BD Teams.
- Provide and support regular reporting on the technology transfer activities and pipeline including invention disclosures, technologies, licensing, new ventures and portfolio companies, ensuring integration with other systems, e.g. CRM.
- Undertake other appropriate responsibilities as requested by the supervisor.
The appointee will have: Undergraduate degree essential, (PhD and/or MBA highly desirable, but not essential) coupled with extensive commercial experience in business development or senior commercial roles across higher education, or an equivalent combination of relevant experience and education.
Knowledge & Skills:
- Demonstrate strong values by acting in the best interest of your employer; displaying service excellence by striving to deliver beyond expectations and taking ownership of the delivery; and value working collaboratively, connecting with people and building relationships in your workplace.
- Excellent leadership skills, with a proven ability to lead and manage high performing teams encompassing an inclusive leadership style which recognizes the value of diversity of contributions and perspectives.
- Strong knowledge of IP and/or technology transfer and a track record of successful commercialization and licensing of research and technologies covering structuring and completing complex business transactions including new ventures.
- A creative and strategic approach to managing intellectual assets and the ability to gain the support of a broad range of stakeholders (BD teams, Faculty, Senior Management, Staff) to adopt new ways of operating.
- Experience in the invention disclosure, technology assessment and commercial work-up processes to grow and develop the University’s pipeline of IP assets.
- Extensive knowledge of post-deal IP asset portfolio management, including royalty determination, allocation and distribution, royalty taxation issues, management of shareholdings and follow-on investment.
- Track record of leading strategic initiatives to drive cultural change and capability development across a complex organization.
- Excellent communication, presentation and negotiation skills.
- An understanding of the dynamics and culture of a complex organisation and/or a university environment.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY, DIVERSITY & INCLUSION
The University of Melbourne is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to providing a workplace free from all forms of unlawful discrimination, harassment, bullying, vilification and victimization. The University makes decisions on employment, promotion and reward on the basis of merit.
Interested candidates should email resume, deal sheet and salary expectations to:
Glen Gardner at Glen@vortechsgroup.com
Read the full position specification here.