Looking for a great opportunity in a high-energy, high-growth, and innovative town?
Welcome to the University of Florida in sunny Gainesville, Florida. UF has retained the Vortechs Group in an exclusive search for an Assistant Vice President for Technology Commercialization and Director of the Office of Technology Licensing. It’s a long title with an equally impressive calling card.
About the University
Gainesville is not only home to a winning football team but its technology transfer department is behind one of the most well-known commercialization products on the map — Gatorade. It’s also on the cutting-edge of technology and innovations that are improving the lives of millions of people. Its research into such things as inhibiting the spread of MRSA and creating wearable drug patches that don’t require refrigeration matches promising research to potential treatments.
UF consistently ranks among the top universities for startup launches and licensing. In the past 15 years, UF OTL has launched 193 biomedical and technology startups, generating more than $1 billion in private investment.
Read more here: UF position specification.
About the Position
The Assistant Vice President for Technology Commercialization and Director of the Office of Technology Licensing is responsible for managing the technology commercialization activities for the University of Florida through directing patenting, licensing, incubation and supporting activities. The Assistant Vice President and Director, in coordination with senior administrators and in consideration of the private sector, will help to set an agenda that defines and leads the University’s program in technology commercialization.
The AVP will identify, groom, and lead high-profile projects and manage the intellectual property portfolio and licensing of technologies for UF. As one of the key leaders for the Intellectual Property strategy of the University, the incumbent will be responsible and accountable for creating a vibrant, exhilarating environment where the research community collaborates with OTL to advance its most promising technologies.
The University is looking for someone with:
- Master’s degree in an appropriate area of specialization and six years of relevant experience; or a bachelor’s degree in an appropriate area of specialization and eight years of appropriate experience.
- an advanced degree in a scientific or business-based discipline and relevant experience in a research university. Knowledge of the research enterprise and university-industry relations.
- Experience and knowledge to provide strategic leadership in key functional areas, such as licensing, commercialization, and deal structuring.
- Market analysis, negotiation, technology evaluation, license execution skills and abilities.
- Research and material transfer agreement experience.
- The ability to identify potential licensees.
- Experience in attracting management and venture capital for the formation of businesses based on UF Technologies.
Read the entire position description here: UF position specification
About the Town
Gainesville, Florida is an eclectic mix of University life, a strong business climate, and a community dedicated to sustainability. It is also the largest city in the North Central Florida Region. It’s located within an easy drive of several metropolitan hubs: Atlanta (4 hours), Orlando and Tampa (under 2), and Miami (just under 5).
This university town has made the list of Best Places to Live and Play in the United States by National Geographic Adventure and made the Best Green City list.
Interested or know someone who would be? Contact us today.